Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Dried Pumpkin Chips

Pumpkin Crisps


In my college days a drawing professor advised our class to take credit for those things we've created by accident. It was one of those gems of advice that I recall whenever my kitchen accidentally turns out something completely different than what I was going for.

These crispy chips are one of those accidental miracles. The pumpkin flesh dries sweet and crispy without the addition of sugar and these make for some Vitamin A and fiber-rich snacking. Add a sprinkle of cinnamon or some pumpkin pie spice for a fragrant variation.


1. Scoop out flesh and seeds of one 4-6 lb pie or sugar pumpkin; reserve seeds for roasting and eating.


2. Peel and slice flesh into 1/4" slices.  If desired, sprinkle with cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice.  You could also try a combo of chili powder and cayenne pepper. 

3. Turn on dehydrator and dry pumpkin thoroghly for 10-12 hours or until crispy, rotating trays every couple of hours. 


Makes 4, 1 cup servings.  Per serving:

nutrition facts

7 comments:

  1. I just got a cute little pie pumpkin...I'll have to try this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. tried it dehydrated and I liked it. I grounded them up in Vita-Mix and made a powder, good for cooking muffins or seasoninng, thanks I am makeing more for the rest ot the year, keeping in Fridge, lemar38@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. If dehydrating, do they need to be peeled?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, unless you plan on eating the peel later!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good to know about the powder lemar38, I will have to try that one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I left the peel on and made dog treats instead.

    ReplyDelete
  7. jjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjj

    ReplyDelete