Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Vitamin C Salsa to Brighten up the Wintertime Blues


I am all for eating some junk food on Super Bowl Sunday but even though I may gnosh on some chips, I'd still like to think that I am getting some calories that aren't completely empty (cough beer).

This salsa is little more than dumping ingredients together but comes with fiber, iron, calcium AND a good dose of vitamin C. When all seems bleak in the winter, here comes citrus to the rescue! Toss in a little red pepper for some additional immune-boosting punch.


INGREDIENTS:

1½ cups black beans, cooked and cooled (sub 1 can of beans, well rinsed & drained)
1 jar salsa (I used Trader Joe's Fire Roasted Tomato for the nutritional info)
1 large red pepper, chopped
3 small or 2 large oranges, peeled, chopped and seeds removed
1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Zest of 1 lime
Fresh lime juice, from approx 1/2 lime or to taste


1 - Combine black beans and salsa

2 - Add in orange, red pepper lime juice, zest and cilantro; lightly toss to combine without making murky.


That's it! Serve with good quality chips or even with belgian endive or raddicchio if you prefer to keep it light!


Per 2 Tablespoon serving:

nutrition facts

1 comment:

  1. Yummmm. This sounds soo good. I will try it soon. See you at the NM slumber party..lolo If you have any time, come visit my post at 2retirednewmans
    I could use some followers since I am new at blogging.
    Marje
    Or Ocean60 (Nutrimirror)

    ReplyDelete