Wednesday, August 19, 2009

The Worms the Early Bird Forgot


If for nothing else, I am notorious for running late. All projects extend until mere moments before the deadline. Waking up to go yard saling is rarely more than an hour-long arm exercise of clumsily wacking the snooze button.

This particular Saturday morning began just like that, the alarm going off, me hitting snooze, my husband inquiring on my sleep-related intentions before pleading with me to turn the darn thing off.

I eventually got up, around 7:00 AM and managed to slip out of the door: child free. I hit a few yard sales and then a Saturday-only thrift shop before hitting a downtown farmer's market along the river. It was hot, late, and to "how much?" everyone had the same reply, "$1.00 a handful." The okra was free "too large to sell," and everything else pictured above added up to an economical $3.00. Good things do come to those who can't get their beaks or butts out of bed at a worm catching hour.

The Asian purple long beans were a particularly good score. The vendor informed me to cut them into salads or stir fry. Not a single one made it long enough to be prepared; we ate all of the "snakes" raw. Hey, whatever it takes to get a three year old to try it, right? ~



6 comments:

  1. Those beans look so coool! We took the kids to the fair for the first time and there was a rain forest exhibit, Caitlin and Thomas were going crazy over the snakes. Peter won her a stuffed snake and she sleeps with it every night. I will have to look into this! My Saturday morning was also spent garage saling! This was my second time trying it out and both times I scored really great deals on some decorative items for the house. I love that you have started this! I can't wait to read more. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the photo and man, what a catch for $3!! When I got those crowder peas I ended up eating a bunch of them raw too.

    So - any chance you will scan in some of your food journaling/photos from your early years? I think those would be so fun to see!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea, Susano! I think I just may!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will be looking forward to it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the idea for the site and the picture. A rainbow of health on a plate!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is great and your pictures...good enough to eat!

    ReplyDelete